Janine “Iris Ophelia” Hawkins’ ongoing review of gaming and virtual world style A few days ago, Hamlet and I were discussing Second Life’s avatars and, more specifically, how SL 2 could do potentially do better. Second Life’s current avatar is…
The SL Bar Association has an Attorney Credentialing Process to confirm that a designated member and Second Life user is, in fact, a real life lawyer offline. Costs L$2,750 to do, so a pretty good deal; however, as the site…
[Resolved 11:10 AM PDT, 23 July 2014] The rolling maintenance for the RC server channels are now complete.
[Update 6:57 AM PDT, 23 July 2014] The rolling maintenance on the RC server channels is now in progress.
[Posted 11:58 PM PDT, 22 July 2014] We will be performing rolling maintenance for regions on Magnum, BlueSteel and LeTigre RC server channels beginning at approximately 7:00AM PDT Wednesday July 23rd. Please refrain from rezzing no-copy objects and making in world L$ transactions, and remember to save all builds. For more information about the specific RC server channels, please refer to the links below.
Last week (well technically, almost two weeks ago), Iris posted this lovely SL flying machinima above, and reader Phadrus Karu responded with an angry comment: The breadth and scope of vehicles in virtual worlds is vast; Second Life is no…
After a long hard day in Real Life and trying to recuperate by moving as little as possible afterward (though others in my household felt I should keep moving) I had a fabulous idea for a Topless Tuesday picture. None of the following are the aforementioned picture as for some reason it never left my head.
|Of course, The Girls aren’t standard anything so I had to adjust the heck out of the pose with my AnyPose HUD. Then after forgetting my original idea my second shot was going to be part of a four panel Warhol-esque treatment.|
|I zoomed in even more! This is Strawberry Singh’s flat studio lighting Windlight, by the way.|
|Like the first picture, this is a slightly tweaked Torley’s Sunrise – Liz Gluft Windlight setting. I rather like it and it has been my go-to setting for just being in SL for about a week.|
|I don’t know why, but I have to make pictures of myself with crossed eyes and a surprised look. This is a from-scratch Windlight I call My Beautiful Day.|
I’m loading only the last one up to the Topless Tuesday in SL Flickr group but head there to see how others are observing the day. Happy Topless Tuesday!!
Ken Perlin recently got a demo of Valve’s VR system, and because Ken’s a computer graphics/VR/avatar development pioneer (Valve used his software as a reference for the character animations in Half-Life 2), I’m inclined to take his assessment seriously. And…
Hello everybody. This is a summary of the last period of development changes in OpenSimulator. Except where otherwise specified, the changes described here appear only in OpenSimulator’s cutting edge ‘master’ branch in OpenSimulator’s Git source control system. Only changes that I think will be interesting to end users are listed. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. Sometimes this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSimulator 0.8 (released on June 17th 2014).
The letters and numbers in brackets after some entries tell you the latest git commit to which they apply.
This post covers git master commits a93799d to 4dc0aaa.
General development news
Features & bug fixes
- Vegaslon contributed a patch to implement avatar terminal velocity in the BulletSim physics plugin, as was implemented in the ODE plugin (abf85b7).
- I fixed an issue where the Close() method was not being called for region modules on simulator shutdown. This should make it a little easier to implement behaviour in modules that needs to occur at this point (4ba396b).
- Diva fixed inconsistencies in child agent management under long view distances (d99c8e6).
- Diva fixed an issue where a restarted neighbouring varregion would sometimes not show up for users in regions within view distance range (60ad723).
- AliciaRaven contributed a patch to remove files generated by the optional AutoBackup module after a set number of days.
- Latif Khalifa contributed a patch so that the textures of uploaded mesh objects show up as texture items in the uploading user’s inventory (3d70db4).
- I added an experimental “show grid size” service console command that will show the grids approximate size in km squared. This may not be very accurate currently as it will count regions that were not cleanly deregistered on simulator shutdown.
- I fixed a recent regression with the statistics “stats record start” and “stats record stop” commands that stopped them working. The workaround in OpenSimulator 0.8 is to repeat the last word of the command (e.g. “stats record start start” (8ae5ab8).
- I fixed a bug in the “show modules” command where shared modules would be listed as non-shared and vice versa (fea18a9).
- I changed the default XEngine script engine stop strategy to “co-op” instead of “abort”. This shuts down scripts in a way that doesn’t carry a low risk of virtual machine failure. The change requires recompilation of scripts but this should be done automatically by the simulator. This does not affect script state (8cd7ca5).
- Robert Adams fixed an issue where exceptions could sometimes occur in BulletSim if a linkset was created when a child mesh was not available (1daec26).
- Ubit Umarov contributed a patch to fix an issue with the ODE physics plugin where an avatar couldn’t jump and move forward when facing south or west (cfbfca6).
- I added a “show region” simulator console command that will show all the parameters for the current region, such as host name, agent limits, etc. This is distinct from the “show scene” command which concentrates on live information (number of avatars, prims, etc.) (4dc0aaa).
- No news this week.
Janine “Iris Ophelia” Hawkins’ ongoing review of gaming and virtual world style There’s yet another online quiz making the rounds… At least it’s making the rounds in Second Life’s narrow little slice of the internet. “What Second Life Thing Are…